GOOGLE-LeaderBoard

Wednesday 21 August 2013

Wasim Akram weds Australian Born Shaniera Thompson

PAKISTAN cricket great Wasim Akram has married Melbourne woman Shaniera Thompson in Lahore. 


Thompson wrote on her Facebook page: "Wasim and I were married in a small and private ceremony in Pakistan early last week.


"As Pakistani wedding tradition follows, a small and private 'Nikkah' was held, which is the start of the wedding ceremony, (and) the signing of the certificate.

"Now to start planning the Wedding proceeding…!"

Ms Thompson's post followed Akram's comments to Pakistan media earlier in the night. He said: "I married Shaniera in Lahore last week in a simple ceremony and this is the start of a new life for me, my wife and for my kids."

Wasim's first wife Huma died in 2009 after multiple organ failure.

Wasim, 47, proposed to Ms Thompson, 30, a former public relations consultant from Brighton, on bended knee last month. Pakistan reports said Wasim and Ms Thompson went to Lahore to see the cricket legend's ailing father, where the marriage was solemnized.

Last month, Ms Thompson told the Herald Sun she has converted to Islam, and will call Pakistan home.
The pair met in Melbourne in 2011 and Akram said he was happy he had found love.

"I never thought I would get married again, but I am lucky and very happy to find love again," he said.
"It just goes to show that life can give you a second chance."

Akram has two boys from his first marriage, aged 15 and 12.

He said Ms Thompson "has been close to my sons and they form a very good bond".

No comments:

Post a Comment